Family Picture

Family Picture

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The One With the 5 Years

5 years!
Yup, that's right people, Eric and I celebrated our 5 year anniversary on September 22nd. It was awesome!!!
Actually, that's not true, our actual anniversary was a Thursday, which is Eric's late day at work. So the actual anniversary went a little more like this:
I stayed at home with the kids until 8:30 when Eric got home, put them to bed, got in bed myself and sat up and played sudoku and watched something on TV while Eric did homework . . . ..  LAME HUH?
Yeah kind of. Totally sad that at 5 years we are already boring adults that have to put life before fun anniversary tasks. 

But Eric is pretty awesome. He called me from work one day and said, "Hey we're going out of town on Friday, pack a bag." Mr. Eric knows that I am not a surprise person, how sweet!!! That's not entirely true, I like surprises. But if it involves me needing an overnight bag which I wouldn't have if it was a surprise . . . . that equals me not being so happy a camper. 

He told me he booked a room at the Hunt Lodge in McCall and that we were headed out of town for the weekend, SANS KIDS!!!! YES!

Well, being without kids is easier said than done. My parents are awesome, and live close, and Eric worked out with them beforehand that the would watch the kiddos while we were gone. But when me, as a mother, being used to having those little nuggets around me 24/7, even at work, even in the bathroom, isn't around them COLD TURKEY it gets a little crazy in my head. Especially when you factor in that we have our little Preslie who has had the most ridiculous year and has pretty much made me vow to never let her out of  my sight or I am almost absolutely sure something crazy will happen and she will die. Didn't help much that when Eric came and picked me up at work, and I told her bye, she turned around to Papa and Grandma waved and said bye and then made a beeline for the door like she was supposed to be coming with us. Didn't help when she started crying either when we said she had to stay. Or when she sat at the door yelling mommy as I drove off. . . . . so sad! So yes, I am not opposed to admitting that I missed both of my kids lots, and still found myself talking about them while Eric and I tried to have a romantic weekend away. (Romantic? HAH! Sure, try to have romance at 7 months pregnant.)

Eric picked me up from work about 4 o'clock on Friday and we headed off - amidst screaming wails from our little diva. McCall is about a two hour drive, and we talked the ENTIRE TIME! I love that! I love that everyone talks about when you get married, you eventually run out of things to talk about. Well, 5 years isn't anywhere close to 25 or 50, but I feel like Eric and I can talk like no other. We talk about everything, and I mean legitimately TALK about it. Get opinions, and laugh, and smile, and flirt, and joke around. He's pretty cute if you ask me. 

Anyways, so finally we rolled up into McCall, checked in at our hotel, which came complete with a KING BED! Heck yes! We have had a queen since we got married, we've been talking about upgrading, but every time I think of having to get a new bed frame, new mattress/box spring, PLUS all new bedding, the cost starts to sound outrageous and I start thinking of all the other things we coudl do with that money, like pay Preslie's hospital bills, or build a deck, or charter a plane to the Netherlands. Up to this point, it has been put on the bottom of a rather long list, but I will sure miss that king bed now! 

Then we went to dinner at Lardo's. LOVE IT! Love their prime rib dip sandwiches, and their french fries that look like chips, it is delicious! Then we drove around McCall and looked at all the places I remembered from when I was growing up and would go up to visit my grandparents. We drove and talked some more, geez, you'd think we would run out of things to say. Then we went back to the hotel and sprawled out on that king bed and watched TV it was awesome. 

WE went to Pancake house for breakfast the next day and walked around McCall - there isn't much to see on ground - and just relaxed a bit. It was nice to get away for a bit and be without the kiddos. Thank you to my amazing hubby for getting me away for a little bit! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment