Family Picture

Family Picture

Monday, March 28, 2011

The One With The Bananas

Bananas have become a hot commodity in our house. Eric and I have been trying to get the kids acquainted with all kinds of fruits and vegetables, dinner gets lame when the only variation is opening up a can of green beans or opening up a can of corn. Plus fruit out of a can is disgusting, so we always try and get fresh fruit, whatever is in season.

Parker is obsessed with bananas. He would probably eat ten a day if I would let him, and I would let him, if bananas in mass were as easy to get out as they were to get in . . . if you know what I mean.

This last weekend we got a Bountiful Basket. I hope too many people aren't reading this post as Bountiful Basket has become a family secret, and if too many people know about it, it won't be a secret anymore. Lo and BEHOLD there were two bunches of bananas in the box!

Eric picked up the box of fruits and vegetables at 7am Saturday morning. It is 9am Monday morning, and we are down to a half a bunch of bananas. If I break off a banana, Parker is suddenly at my feet with his hands outstretched saying "I want nana." I have to hide it up my sleeve or in my pocket or something.

This morning Eric and I stealthily snuck two bananas into our bag to go to work. Eric successfully got his banana down without Parker seeing him. I started peeling my banana while Parker was back in his room watching Toy Story. It's like he has dog ears. The first pull of banana peel and he was immediately right next to me asking for the banana.

I said, "But Parker, this is mommy's." And then I gave it to him anyways. I always feel bad for selfishly wanting things for only me - my Heath bars, time to get ready, my comfy bed in the morning - how am I ever supposed to teach Parker to share if I don't show him?

So I sadly handed him the banana and went back to my work. A few minutes later Parker comes back in with half of the banana in his hand and says, "Look Mom, I broke this nana for you."

I guess all my sharing has rubbed off on the little man. . . . and that banana was better than ever!


****************************************************************

In other news, we spent most of the weekend painting our room.

Eric and I have always loved the super modern look. I think anyone can tell that when they walk into our house, it's why we bought the house that we did! (We do what we can with it since it doesn't have concrete floors and cables for stair railings, but still we like it.) But recently we seem to have veered from the super cold modern look - like concrete floors, cables for stair railings, and monochromatic colors - to more of the organic modern look.

Our room started to look too cold, and drab, and the gray just didn't offer much variation. Pictures will come soon, but our walls were gray, with a multicolored gray block accent wall (sounds weird, but everyone has liked it) black and gray bedding, and black furniture. Can anyone say monochromatic? I loved the room, but it was getting old. We hadn't done anything different in it for the three years we have owned the house.

The walls are now a beige and we have very organic purple bedding. Amazingly, Eric picked out the bedspread . . . . purple and all. I will put some pictures up soon. So far the walls are painted, and the bedding is on, but as far as decorations it looks like our room is staged to sell, we have to finish hanging things.

*********************************************************

Preslie is sick. Poor little girl has had a terrible case of the runs for DAYS now. Eric called me at work on Friday and said that when she got up that morning she was covered in poo, all up to her shoulders, puddled in her footie pajamas.

Eric doesn't like changing Preslie. He thinks it's against nature. I tell him it's okay because he's her Dad. So naturally I thought he was exaggerating.

Well after a similar experience waking up with her on Saturday and Sunday morning I no longer think he was exaggerating. We have gone through an entire box of diapers - that usually lasts us an entire month. And now her butt is all red and raw and I feel so terrible for the little girl.

All she wants to do is watch Sesame Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment