Family Picture

Family Picture

Sunday, March 17, 2013

The One With the Concealed Weapon

At the first of the year Eric surprised me with a date . . . .  to a concealed weapons course.
My family was never huge into guns and hunting.
Surprising since they all grew up as farmers and ranchers, I know. My dad had a rifle in our house, but I don't know that it has ever been shot. Luckily we never had someone break into our house to find out if it even works. Eric's family is HUGE into guns and hunting. They can talk about guns for hours - and often they do. I typically glaze over, not really knowing much about what they are talking about.
 
My knowledge of guns goes something like this:
barrel
trigger
pull trigger
BOOOOOMMM!!!!
 
In this scenario I can only pray that the gun is already loaded.
 
Anyways, we sat for a few very long hours (4 1/2) at this concealed weapons course. And then we went out the next day and bought us soem concealed. Eric's family is all very concerned that with all the new gun control laws coming down the pipeline that we may not be able to buy in the future. That is why my dear sweet hubby has bought 4, yes that's right four, guns in the past two and a half months.
 
Moving on from January when we took the course to now.
Now Eric has a job and is on his graveyard rotation, which means I am home ALONE with our kiddos five nights out of the week. We have a security system on our house, and to be honest I think that 95% of our neighborhood is LDS the remaining 5% are all nice good people, so I doubt we will ever have an issue, but it's always good to be prepared, right?

Right before Eric started his graveyard rotation he thought it might be a good idea for us to go to a shooting range and get me used to shooting the pistols we already have again, and then to actually shoot my new concealed weapon for the first time.
 
Shooting guns is weird.
It's good, don't get me wrong.
But I have this strange need to be a great shot without any practice.
Plus every time I pull the trigger I think something along these lines, "There goes a $2 bullet." And then it gets even harder for me to continue shooting 30 rounds through the gun knowing that it amounts to $60 total. I'm so cheap I guess.
Shooting a gun is also kind of therapeutic. And it's good for me to know that if anything ever did happen, I would have the ability to defend my family without anything crazy happening.
 
My gun is a Ruger LCP .380 - for those of you who are like me and don't necessarily know what that means, it is a bigger bullet which means more damage, and hopefully no one chasing after me. It also has a laser sight, which I like. I would never use this gun to protect us in the home - I much prefer the .40 caliber (even bigger bullet) that is behind my bed. This little gun has a super heavy trigger pull, but if I'm going to carry it around in my purse on the off chance some crazy person comes into the restaurant I am eating at, I figured I should shoot it a couple times. These were the first six shots out of my concealed . . . . I think he's dad.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment