Family Picture

Family Picture

Monday, November 7, 2011

The One With Five Pumpkins

Well this Halloween was MUCH more laid back then it has been in year's past.
Eric's work had a trunk or treat - at which we didn't get pictures apparently, at least, I can't find any although I swore we had the camera there - but his trunk or treat was on the 14th of October, right before we left for Portland.

So we went to that with my sister and her family, cause it's really no fun going trick or treating completely by yourself. Eric was in charge of the haunted house so he only got to be with us for a few minutes. He was dressed up like Jack Skelington. The kids went through the Haunted house, that was actually decorated surprisingly well seeing as how it was bright outside, and there were only limited funds to work with. Bennett about had a heart attack when he walked by Julie (from Eric's work) who was dressed up like the creepy scarecrow from Batman. All she did was twitch her finger, and he screamed, and it was funny, but I felt bad all at the same time. Poor kid.

I had hoped to make Preslie's costume this year, I really didnt' know what I would have her be, but it seemed like all the costumes at the big stores were so generic, and that EVERYONE would have the same costume. I hate taking our kids around trick-or-treating and running into a million other kids with the same costumes on . . . . uh LAME!!

Parker found his costume at Costco, so I felt for sure that there would be a million little Jack Sparrow pirates running around, but amazingly, we didnt' see ONE. Making Preslie's costume was out of the question when all of a sudden it was Wednesday night - on a very busy week trying to get ready to go out of town to Portland - and I hadn't started anything. So we went to Target, and bought her a cute leopord skirt and cat stuff - so much for not being generic - and thought we'd dress her up as duh a cat. But we got home and the skirt was WAY too big, and the whole costume just wasn't working the way it was supposed to in my head. So back into the car we went to Halloween City where we bought a costume that she wore twice for WAY too much money - because she's a girl, and she gets everything she wants. So Preslie was a baterina.

We went and picked out Pumpkins at the Berry Patch on the Monday a week before Halloween as Eric had the day off and Berry Patch was closest - not to mention they didnt' make you pay admission if ALL you wanted to do was get pumpkins not play with all the stuff they had out. My grandma had an awesome Halloween party that Saturday night after Eric got off work, and on Sunday, the day before Halloween, we finally carved our pumpkins.

Apparently Eric forgot that using a Sharpie to draw out your plan won't rub off, so his and Parker's had some marks on them, lucky I could use an orange crayola marker on my white pumpkin. Speaking of white pumpkins - that was the easiest pumpkin to clean out EVER! Like seriously, I hate having to sit there with my hands in guts for hours trying to get everything out, but I did that one in two minutes flat, it was awesome. The smell is a little weird, like a cross between a cucumber and a pumpkin so I dont' recommend eating it as it sounds truly disgusting. but they look pretty good.

Parker's is the bat. Mine's the white pumpkin. Eric's is the one with GINORMOUS eyes and a mouth, and Preslie's are the two little ones.


And the pumpkins when the lights are out and the candles are lit! SO AWESOME!

 Parker's pumpkin
 Daddy's pumpkin
 Mommy's very blurry pumpkin
 Preslie had two pumpkins to blow out.
 Bedtime, so the kids look really awesome! :)
 This is probably the best picture for seeing the kid's costumes that we go. Sadly by the time we got home that night they were ready to get out of the costumes and hand out candy, and Preslie was SO COLD that they didn't stay in their costumes long enough to get a good picture. Sad day. This was the first house the kids went to. I thought we had everyone bundled up pretty good, I mean seriously I had four shirts PLUS a sweater on, but there was a bitterly cold wind that night that kind of put a damper on the evening. Makes sense, every year since we've moved into our house we've had awesome, pretty warm Halloweens, so I guess it's about time to have a cold one. Preslie did pretty good running up to the houses until she decided she was too cold, and so we bundled her up in the stroller, put her pumpkin on her lap, and drove her up to the door, and she went trick-or-treating that way. She was quite a hit . . . . which is understandable, she's pretty cute. And everyone loved that Parker was Jack Sparrow, he got a lot of compliments.
 Mommy and the kids.
 Daddy and the kids. Eric had to dress up as a person from a horror movie for work that day. I was not so in the mood to buy him a $40 costume that he would probably never wear again. He was pretty set on being Freddy Kruger, but seriously, they were all so expensive, and hardly ever in his size, and I just wasn't so up to it. I know I know, I spent all sorts of money on the kids, I guess I just figure Eric is old now and doesn't need to have the experience like the kids do - that or we spent all the money on Preslie's costume. ha ha. So Saturday night we were sitting in our room trying to figure out what to do and I jokingly said, just get a hockey mask and be that guy. Well, he actually liked it, we went to Halloween City and found the mask for $3. Then he raided his massive wardrobe for a plain white shirt that he didn't wear anymore, a few cuts and some run in with the fake blood and he was all set to go. Pretty nice to only have to spend $3 on a costume if you ask me!
 And the kids at a door getting some candy. We had a fun time!!


No comments:

Post a Comment