Family Picture

Family Picture

Sunday, December 16, 2012

The One with Tai Pan Adventures

Everyone constantly tells me about how much they love Tai Pan.
And by everyone I mean my sister.
And by constantly I mean that every time I point to something in her house and say "I like that" she says "Thanks, I got it at Tai Pan."
 
So Eric and I had to take a little adventure there a few weeks back.
On the one hand I wasn't as impressed as I thought I was going to be.
I guess maybe I was expecting an Ikea, and it wasn't.
Maybe I was expecting SUPER low cost prices . . . and the pricing was okay.
But mostly I was expecting more options.
 
Now to be completely honest, the lack of every day decor options may have soemthing to do with the fact that 7/8ths of the store was filled with Christmas decor. I don't know if that is how it always is . . . . minus the Christmas decor and add whatever holiday is coming up decor . . . or if typically it is filled to the brim with every day decorating and we just happened to go at a terrible time.
 
Although we still happened to walk out of the store spending over $100, so I guess the trip wasn't a complete disappointment, and obviously we found some good stuff . . .  it just took a little more digging than I had anticipated.
Usually I go to the store thinking in my head of a specific spot in my house that I need some decor item and then I look for something that will fit the space and buy it. This time there was no such pre-planning, and maybe that's why it ended up working out so well. I just walked through the store, picking up what I liked, and as long as it was a decent price I bought it and brought it home.

There was some time at home deciding where to put things, but I ended up finding out that I could use most of it ANYWHERE! And I loved that most of it ended up on top of our kitchen cupboards which I have been trying for YEARS (no kidding) to find the perfect decorating pieces for.
 
 
Everything in this picure except for the "M" and the white bowl came from Tai Pan. It's funny cause as I was grabbing things in that store I wasn't thinking "these things would all look good together". And maybe they don't, and maybe it's the fact that they don't actually "go" together, but somehow they "go" together. I feel like Danny Zuko in Grease telling Sandy "We didn't go together, we just went together!" But hopefully you understand what I am getting at. If not the Grease reference should have given you some comic relief.
 

 
Then this picture  . . . . well actually nothing in this picture came from Tai Pan. But I was more looking to show what the top of both sets of cabinets look like. That Morroccan pattern on that wood piece back there, yes I am currently obsessed with that stencil. You may have noticed it is on to pof the entry table I built as well. LOVE IT. The black vases came from Costco about four years ago and I am debating whether or not I should paint them white. And the mossy thing my mother in law bought and put together for me. She is one of those classy decorators who can somehow find good things to put in everyone's houses.
 
And well that Cinderalla doll there is actually Preslie's bribe for potty training.
It's still in the box, so obviously we are still working on it.
But we will get there eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment