Family Picture

Family Picture

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The One With the Removal

We spent the weekend at home. Lying low and taking care of a prety sick Paxton.
Sadly the "Fun Family Saturday" we had planned to do with the kids right before Preslie's surgery was a no go.
We hadn't said anything to the kids though so luckily they didn't know they missed out on anything.
Monday morning we got up way too early.
We had planned on having our amazing babysitter watch Parker and Pax while we were at the surgery, but with Pax being so sick, and not wanting to expose her we cancelled and my Mom watched the kids instead.
We dropped them off about 7:15 and drove to the doctor's office.
Preslie actually seemed kind of excited to go to "her surgery".
I think the fact that this one was planned made it easier for us to talk it up to her beforehand and made the whole process just a little less horrifying for her.
In the car ride on the way over this conversation happened:
Preslie: Is my angel going to be there?
Me (assuming she was talking about angels): Of course there will be angels there to protect you.
Preslie: No my AUNT Angel. Will my Aunt Angel be there?
This made my day, and I'm sure it made Angel's too.
She was pretty concerned that after that last surgery Preslie would hate her.
Turns out she has become Preslie's security blanket.
And Preslie was pretty disappointed Aunt Angel couldn't come. This time the surgery was happening in a surgery center instead of the hospital where Angel works.
Preslie: Dr. Van is my best friend!
That's what she told all the nurses and staff at the surgery center. It was pretty cute. She absolutely ADORES that doctor, which is awesome considering how scared she typically is of doctors anymore.
We sat outside in the waiting room for about 5 minutes, then they took us back to the pre-op room and got her all fixed up. They let her decorate her anesthesia mask which she thought was pretty fantastic. And then they took her away.
EARLY.
The surgery was scheduled for 8:45 and they came and grabbed her at 8:15.
It was probably best that I wasn't sitting there counting down the minutes. Instead right after we visited with the nurse, the anesthesiologist, and "Dr. Van", they came right out and took Preslie back.
I thought for sure she would have a melt down when the took her.
WRONG AGAIN!
She did awesome, and I was so proud. She went right to the nurse, and said "Dr. Van is my best friend. He's going to cut the bug out!" And the nurse fell in love with Miss Preslie . . . as most of them do.
The surgery ended up talking a little over an hour. They came out and got us right after Preslie came out since they heard how much she screamed and yelled waking up from anesthesia after her first surgery. Once again though Preslie was amazing. I was prepared for a screaming little girl again, but instead I got to hold her for about 20 minutes and then we slowly prodded her awake. She was a champ and just perfect.

Dr. Van came to talk to us. He told us the "tumor" they removed was about the size of a dime - much bigger than I had thought. We have a post-op appointment with him next Tuesday. We should know what pathology of the tumor looks like by then - though I am pretty sure it will be benign. Preslie had taken her little Lalaloopsy bear back to surgery with her, Dr. Van put a little steri-strip on the bear's chin just like where Preslie's was. He is a quiet man, but we just love him and love that he goes the extra mile to make Preslie feel comfortable and cared for.

We are hoping this is IT in the Marshall house for awhile, but we are so grateful to have our little girl happy, healthy, and to have this little family on the mend!


The Lalaloopsy set my Sister got me an awesome deal on. It is adorable. We gave it to Preslie in the waiting room and she LOVED it and has not stopped playing with it since. The little bear even went back to surgery with her and got a steri-stip in the exact same spot her stitches are in.
Preslie practicing using her mask.
Day after the surgery, it is bleeding a bit today, but looks so much better without her "button".


1 comment:

  1. So happy that it went well! Love that girl! Can't wait to see her back in nursery. (I've been missing it a lot in general.) I may not be able to do much with this being new at the three kids thing, but if I could bring you dinner I would LOVE to. Or I just might pop by with homemade bread one of these days :)

    ReplyDelete