Family Picture

Family Picture

Sunday, April 28, 2013

The One with the Office Renovation

Anyone who comes to my house knows that I am constantly working on some project or another. For example, in the last month we re-did our entire master bathroom, built a pergola, built quite a few furniture and decorative pieces for our house, started a backyard plant makeover, redid the floors in the laundry room, and last week I decided to tackle redoing our office.

Don't ask me why!!! There really wasn't anything wrong with our office to begin with! Most people have seen our lovely built-ins that Eric made with the limited help of my Uncle Brent. My Uncle is a FANTASTIC carpenter, one of the best, but he has told me several times that he didn't have to help Eric much with this project while Eric worked on it at Brent's shop. In addition to the cabinets, I had done a little accent stripe (or three) along the entire room, and most everyone that comes in loves it! Why did I change it all up? Don't ask me! I'm not entirely sure yet myself, honestly. I just kept wanting something different.

Real problem: I was super sick for about a week. Figures my entire family could make it the whole length of winter without getting any terrible bugs and then the second spring hits the nasty cold settles in for a month. I was pretty much down on my back for about a week. Not much getting up, not much making dinner, not much cleaning. It was good for my homework. But even in my fairly aggressive program I started to run out of homework to do. And let's face it, no one wants to get THAT far ahead in their classes. So I was on pinterest . . . . A LOT. Then I read way too many home improvement blogs and came up with way too many ideas on changes to make and things I wanted to do in my house. Dangerous? YES. Especially since I was too sick to actually accomplish any of these ideas. Sad because a week at home off of work could have resulted in quite a few projects getting finished.

Instead the second I started feeling better I got up, went into our office, and immediately told Eric "I' going to paint the cabinets white." I'm sure you can imagine his response considering our cabinets are the blackest black you can find and even more of a response considering after we built the cabinets Eric wanted to paint them white and I said no I want them black. BIG MISTAKE! Fur future reference remember that whtie cabinets can easily be painted over . . . . black is less easy. Not impossible, but less easy. More primer. More coats. More time. And I am one of the most impatient people on the planet so this process was a tough one for me.

Here are the cabinets before. The lighting is awesome in this room the majority of the day because of the HUGE window, but these pictures turned out a little dark. I'm sure it doesn't help that the cabinets are black, and our sleeper sofa is black . . . they probably suck out all the light in the room into a black hole.



And here is a pretty good picture of the chair rail I did. I actually super love it. And in reality it would have matched with the accent pieces I had picked up for the cabinets, but it started to become extremely hard to decorate around. Big art pieces would go straight across the lines and I thought that looked weird, but the wall is too big, especially with the slanted ceilings, to have only those three clocks up on the wall. Although you can bet that the clocks will be incorporated in some way or another in the new wall that will be going up there. I'm not quite sure how yet, but they will.


And after quite a few days of sanding, and priming, and priming, and priming, and sanding a little mroe than three layers of paint, I finally got the cabinets white.









Don't mind Preslie's gymnastics gear set up all of the place (that will be another post). Just look at the cabinets. I feel like the white makes it so much less dark in the room. And although the blue chair rail stripe was pretty cool (if I do say so myself) I think it will be easier to add a big art piece on that wall without it. My idea for the huge wall: I want to make a huge calendar that we can change out every month with our stuff. I'm still debating the best way to do it. White board paint? Or just a general template that I can add sticky notes to? I thought about chalk, but I don't know that I want to deal with all the dust from it. Maybe I will be super lucky and find a big piece of glass that I can template a big calendar on and use EXPO markers to add everything. We will see how lucky I get.

I can already see that these cabines are getting super full, so I've already told Eric an I want to build big standing tower cabinets on either side of the large window opposite of the cabinets. This room was (kind of still is I gues) our guest bedroom and has a HUGE leather queen size sleeper sofa against the window for guests. Unfortunately most of the guests we get (ie Eric's brothers and cousins) don't sleep in it anyways, they always opt for the couches that are apparently more comfortable, so the couch isn't getting much use. Now that Preslie's gymnastics stuff is set up the room feels a little small, not to mention the matching chair that goes with the sleeper couch that is currently in our family room will have to move once we get the final addition of our new sectional (yet another post). So we are selling our nice black leather couch set. I think it will free up some space in our office/exercise room and make it more functional for us. Here's to even more changes and projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment